Here are some links to web/domain services I find helpful.
- Github Pages (Static pages)
- Redhat Openshift (Linux Hosting – Windows coming soon!)
- Windows Azure Websites (Free) (Windows/Linux Hosting only with subdomain on azurewebsites.net)
- WordPress.com (Blog only with subdomain on wordpress.com)
- Google’s Blogger
Domain Name Providers
- .cf (Central African Republic)
- .ga (Gabon)
- .ml (Mali)
- .nom.za (Personal, South Africa)
- .tk (Tokelau, New Zealand)
- .co.vu (Subdomain on Vanuatu ccTLD)
- .uni.me (Subdomain on ME aimed at students)
- .uk.pn / .us.pn / .ca.pn / .au.pn / .de.pn / .at.pn / .ch.pn / .fr.pn / .it.pn / .cn.pn / .jp.pn (Subdomains on Pitcairn Islands intended as personal sites in their respective country code)
- .net.ms / .info.ms / .us.ms / .shop.ms / .au.ms / .de.ms / .fr.ms / .cn.ms / .hk.ms / .br.ms (Subdomains on Montserrat, useful for Microsoft related content – POSSIBLY NOT WORKING!)
- Got a website on www. but can’t access it by the root domain? Try wwwizer’s root domain redirect!
- Got a domain you no longer use? Put it to good use with Domains4Good and help make money for charity.
Get an Outlook.com (nee Hotmail, Windows Live Mail) email @yourwebaddress with Live Domains.
- Get a free email address @yourwebaddress with Zoho Mail.
- Shorten URLs with your own web address with Bitly! They’ll even redirect the root domain for you. (This link is a custom Bitly address! go.joe.gl/1bVUcQW) – Also possible with a Freenom domain
- Using Cloudflare for DNS serves up a cached copy of your site even when your website goes offline. Not only this, but they’ll even give you free, one-click SSL (https)!
Bitly with a Freenom Domain
A Freenom may not be redirected. However, host your site on
http://www.yourfreenomdomain (I only recommend 1 page sites for this!) and have Bitly set up on
yourfreenomdomain (no www.) with a redirect to
http://www.yourfreenomdomain and you’re all good!
Or, run your site on
yourfreenomdomain and use
sub.yourfreenomdomain for Bit.ly.